Who We Are
Sensory Services by Sight for Surrey is the largest charitable organisation in Surrey working with people who are visually impaired, Deaf, Hard of Hearing or who have combined sight and hearing loss. The charity has provided support to the blind and partially sighted community since 1922. It began to deliver services to the Deaf and Hard of Hearing in February 2016 after securing a contract by Surrey County Council to provide these services.
Our mission is to help anyone whose eyesight or hearing has become a cause for concern, whether they are registered with a sight impairment or not, to help them lead full and independent lives.
To achieve this we provide a wide range of service to vision impaired people and their carers:
• We have a team of Communicator Guides who provide specialist support to anyone with a combined sight and hearing loss and enable them to get out and about.
• We have a team of specialist Hearing Loss Advisors who can support you in managing your hearing loss and ensure you are provided with the right support and guidance.
• We provide mobility and life skills training to children and young people.
• We have a team of qualified social workers and Deaf community officers who can work alongside you, your family or your carer.
• We have a strong team of volunteers who befriend and support our members.
• We provide specialist technology training at all levels.
• We are present at hospital eye clinics to advise and support you if you are newly-diagnosed with eye disease.
• We also run innovative projects including children’s recreational trips and an Employment Club which provides mentoring to people with a vision impairment in the workplace or who are seeking employment.
All of our staff have a real understanding of the practical and emotional aspects of living with hearing and sight loss.